Friday, September 14, 2007

Twisted

The Sander's Mittens from Folk Knitting in Estonia is my first project using three colors simultaneously. Keeping all the strands from twisting around one another is a bit of a challenge but I'm rising to it. I'm using Dale of Norway Falk in 0090 black, 6027 "ocean blue" and 8426 "grass green" and rosewood 2.5 mm dpns.

This is also my first time working the half-wick decrease which is used at the top of the mitten. It is similar to a centered double decrease but involves knitting two of the three stitches rather than just one.

The pattern contains an odd number of repeats and I didn't like the way they were off center when I began the decreases at the top. I solved the problem by keeping the edge stitches black and working three rows of alternating stitches in black and the pattern color. The motifs use three rows per pattern color so the new design balances the main design nicely. I wanted to use stranding rather than all black at the top so the mittens would be as warm as possible.

This photo shows the thumb. I asked some children in my Monday knitting class try it on and it is much too short so it will have to be frogged and reknit. Fortunately I haven't yet knit the thumb on the second mitten.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CatBookMom said...

Good heavens! That is beautiful! I remember when you showed me the cuff you'd just started. I'm still busily cataloging my stash, and tossing orphans into a pile for adoption. I have an entire box full of baby acrylics to send to Alice Trueman for her Canadian charity. No, surprisingly, she doesn't want wools, just acrylics.

9/16/2007 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home