Friday, April 27, 2007

Dalarna Socks

The Dalarna socks for the Knitting on the Road KAL. This was the pattern chosen by the members for February and March of 2007 and I actually completed my socks on time. Yes, my feet really are that big.

Pattern: Dalarna from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush

Yarn: Dale of Norway Falk , which isn't a sock yarn but was the closest I had to the Guernsey yarn called for. I used 147 g. of color 3841, which appears to be naturally colored, not dyed. I tried adding reinforcement thread to the heel flap but it made the fabric too stiff so I settled on using a smaller needle instead.

Needles: 2.5 mm (US 1 1/2) rosewood for the main part of the sock; 2.25 mm. (US 1) for the heels .

Gauge: 7 stitches per inch on size 2.5 mm.

Modifications: I had to adjust for the different gauge, did 6 rather than 4 decreases down the calf and added the 4 decreased stitches back in at the top of the heel flap. I made a wedge toe rather than the toe called for in the pattern.

Size: To fit a woman's size 9 medium foot.

Helpful Hint: When working the decorative cuff with two strands, don't break the extra strand until you done both sections; just carry the extra strand down the ribbing section. This leaves you with two fewer ends to weave in.

Below is a closeup of the top showing the decorative edge:


Next is a closeup of the foot:


These are very thick and warm. I liked the pattern and will probably make it again with a thinner yarn.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sandra said...

very nice! Love the ribbing pattern.

5/01/2007 7:27 AM  
Blogger Hawkesley said...

Your Dalarna socks look lovely. I like the colour of the yarn you used.

5/09/2007 12:42 AM  
Blogger mathomhouse said...

Ooh, thanks for moving the Dalarnas higher up on my own must-knit list!

5/15/2007 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home