Thursday, September 25, 2008

Marching Fingerless Mitts

My niece plays in a marching band and her hands get cold at those night time football games. I made her some fingerless mitts in one of her school colors. I hope they keep her hands warm but are flexible enough to enable her to play her instrument with ease while wearing them.

The color is more accurate in the photo below:


Pattern: Hand/Wrist Warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8 in color 23, 53 g.
Needles: Brittany Birch size 7 (4.5 mm.) dpns.
Begun: September 10, 2008
Completed: September 23, 2008
Size: Woman's medium, 6.5" in circumference and 9" long relaxed.
Notes: Using the same pattern, I made these for my son in the ribbed style and, although we liked them, we agreed they needed a thumb gusset so I added one this time.

A set of two knit stitches formed the base of the gusset and I used a lifted increase to add one stitch on each side every other row. I worked the thumb in stockinette stitch and at the same time I continued the spiral rib on the rest of the hand. I increased the thumb up to 10 stitches, worked the next round plain and on the next round put those 10 stitches on a holder while casting on two stitches over the gap. When the hand was complete I bound off in purl to encourage the last row to roll inward and not flare out. I then picked up the ten thumb stitches and picked up 4 new stitches in the gap. In the next round I decreased the four picked up gap stitches down to two by working the outer two together with the first and 10th previously held thumb stitches. The thumb is 8 rounds tall after the pick up point. I bound the thumb off in purl also.

Fortunately I had two balls of this yarn but barely used more than one ball. I think I'll make another pair using fewer rows.

Marching Band Mitts pair cropped 9.25.08
I foolishly forgot to reverse the spiral on the second mitt so they are exact matches.

Labels: ,


Blogger smariek said...

They look lovely, and since you have that 2nd ball, you can make the spiral go the other way on your next pair. :-)

My very first mitts were just a trial and error tube of ribbing, with a "hole" for the thumb. My improvement on this was adding a thumb, but worked the ribbing pattern into the thumb (you can see them here), not sure why I did it that way. But now I'm thinking that the plain stockinette thumb gives a nice neat look too.

9/25/2008 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home