Friday, May 11, 2007

Dyeing with Mixed Success

Another hat for charity is complete. This one was made with the old version of Emu Superwash, a DK weight 100% wool that is much scratchier than the new version. I acquired the grey yarn on a swap site and dyed it with Wilton cake dye using Sky Blue, "Barney" purple (don't ask) and green liquid food coloring. I tried to space the colors out so there would be one stripe per row without total success but I came close. The purple tends to pop out in the photo but the colors are actually more balanced. This will go to a charity collection and I hope the recipient doesn't mind the less than perfect result. The hat is resting on our roses, which are in full bloom.

Pattern:
Needle Beetle Seaman's Cap which is my favorite charity hat pattern. It is extremely easy to make and the tall foldover provides a second layer to keep the wearer's ears warm. I cast on 102 stitches.
Needles: Inox grey sizes 4 (3.5 mm.) & 5 (3.75 mm.).
Yarn: Emu Superwash DK, 50 g balls, no yardage given; I used 63.3 grams.
Gauge: 6 stitches per inch on size 5 needles in st st in the round.
Size: 17.5" circumference, 8.25" high from foldline to crown, child's large.
Begun: 3/11/07
Completed: 4/23/07

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home