Sunday, June 15, 2008

I Don't Play with Dolls But. . .

When I attended the Nordic Knitting Conference in Seattle last October I attended a workshop taught by Marilyn Van Keppel on the Icelandic Shawl. She had us knit a doll sized shawl that is a miniature copy of a classic Icelandic Shawl. I loved every second of the conference. Even standing in line for dinner was fun because of all the beautiful knitwear I could see. Marilyn was a very informative teacher and she allowed us to inspect and pet a number of Icelandic and Faroese shawls she's knitted, including several from Bundanaurriklaedid and Three-cornered and Long Shawls, which she translated into English. Both books with the translations are available from Schoolhouse Press.

Details:
Yarn:
Misti Alpaca Laceweight in "pretty in pink" (no. 3140) and a mystery laceweight wool bought at a weaver's garage sale in plum, 10 g. total for both yarns.
Needles:
5.0 mm. (US 8) for the provisional c/o, 3.5 mm. (US 4) for the shawl and the border, and 1.75 mm (US 2) to pickup the provisional c/o in order to knit the border.
Pattern:
MvK's own pattern entitled "Icelandic Triangular Lace Shawl," distributed in the class.
Size: 20" across the top and 9" deep at the point after blocking. The border is 2.5" deep.
Notes:
The pattern specified three colors for the border but I only used one. I find it hard to believe that one can make something so beautiful out of 10 g. of yarn. I'm looking forward to remaking this in a bigger size. Maybe by then I will have acquired some blocking wires.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger smariek said...

I had never heard of knitting a small doll sized shawl for a class. I suppose that's equivalent to the tiny class sock that people knit when they're learning socks.

6/21/2008 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home